23 Top online retailers analytic packages revealed
Web Analytics is an ever evolving field with many big name players, and plenty of smaller competitors. Deciding what analytics package is the right fit for your site can be a tough process to go through.
Prices range from free (Google analytics) all the way in the tens of thousands of dollars per year (Omniture, Coremetrics, Webtrends). I have compiled a list of some of the top Ecommerce sites in the industry and noted what each site is using below. Hopefully this will help you gauge which product you might want to choose for your site.
Apparel / Fashion
- eBags.com – Google Analytics
- Landsend.com – Omniture SiteCatalyst
- Lids.com – WebTrends
- Bluefly.com – Coremetrics
- LLBean.com – Omniture SiteCatalyst
- BestBuy.com – Omniture SiteCatalyst
- TigerDirect.com – Omniture SiteCatalyst
- Crutchfield.com – Omniture SiteCatalyst
- SurLaTable.com – Omniture SiteCatalyst
- Cooking.com – Omniture SiteCatalyst
- Berries.com – Omniture SiteCatalyst
- BlueNile.com – Google Analytics
- Ice.com – Google Analytics
- Diamond.com – Google Analytics
Children / Toys
- OneStepAhead.com – Coremetrics
- KBToys.com – Omniture SiteCatalyst
- BabyAge.com – Google Analytics & Omniture SiteCatalyst
- Staples.com – Coremetrics
- OfficeDepot.com – Coremetrics
- OfficeMax.com – Coremetrics
- SmartBargains.com – Coremetrics
- Walmart.com – Omniture SiteCatalyst
- Kmart.com – Omniture SiteCatalyst
This is the breakdown of my findings. As you can see Omniture seems to be the clear favorite, followed by CoreMetrics and Google analytics and leading the back of the pack WebTrends, which in my opinion is a dieing platform, overpriced, and laden with bugs.
- Omniture SiteCatalyst – 12
- Coremetrics – 6
- Google Analytics – 5
- WebTrends – 1
From my personal experience if you have a small site, or even a large one as you can see above, Google Analytics is a great choice. They offer a free version which is extremely user friendly, as well as a paid version, called Urchin 5 (Urchin 6 is in beta). Urchin is still extroidinarily cheap compared to Omniture, Coremetrics, and Webtrends. If you are looking for FULL functionality and a very robust system you are going to want to choose between Omniture, Coremetrics, and Webtrends, but be ready to shell out thousands of dollars especially if your site gets a lot of traffic. Which platform have you found success with?
Aaron over at theMadhat pointed out the general pricing on Omniture, Coremetrics and Webtrends:
pricing from low to high: WT, Omniture, Coremetrics. with a diff of around 10k from wt to cm. quote is from last year.
Courtesy of Michael, more official stats on market share right now in the industry.